Komera – Since 2013
Our partnership with Komera was our first to provide uniforms to all girls! Komera assists over 100 girls in rural Rwanda who have the courage and desire to pursue secondary education, but who lack the resources to do so. The opportunities Komera provides for their scholars include (but are not limited to) access to Secondary school, leadership training, self-discovery and self-empowerment. We had the pleasure of visiting Rwanda and some of the scholars with Komera in June 2013 and have amazing memories that will never leave us … cannot wait to go back! In the summer of 2016 we revamped our partnership with Komera and we are now providing over 600 uniforms for their Community Empowerment Program. We are hoping to double this number in the upcoming year!
- Roughly 45% of the country lives below the poverty line
- Only 5% of those enrolled in secondary school actually attend
- The literacy rate among adults is 71%
- While primary school is free parents must provide school supplies and the school uniform
- 4.8% of the country’s GDP is spent on education
- Rwanda is the most densely populated country in Africa